The Grade 11 Selection for National High Schools and Secondary Schools in the country has been published on the Education Department website annually. A selection committee meets in Port Moresby and does the selection. Prior to the selection, the data verification and selection can take up to two weeks.
This education blog reproduces the Education Secretary’s circular in brief for parents, guardians and stakeholders so that you understand how the Grade 11 selection process works. Read on to find out.
The process (How Grade 11 Selection Works)
- Measurement Services Division (MSD) provides the final results for Grade 10 to the Information and Communication Division (ICD) and General Education Services Division (GES) of the Education Department. These three divisions are key players.
- The ICD will run the Grade 11 Selection together with GES.
- General Education Services coordinates the selection process with all the principals from secondary and national high schools.
- Inspections and Standards Division (ISD) and the Guidance and Counselling Division (GCD) assist principals in the provinces. Principals enter and verify data in the provinces.
- YOU CAN SEE THE EDUCATION SECRETARY’S CIRCULAR ON 2021 GRADE 11 SELECTIONS VIA THE LINK >> CLICK HERE
- Latest update: The Grade 11 selection will be published on the Education Department website.
Expected dates for 2023 Grade 11 Selections
See the latest dates for 2023 Grade 11 Selection and Grade 10 & 12 Exam Results on PNG Insight Blog. The dates will give you an idea about the Selection time frame.
The Department of Education expects the (actual) selection and online results to be completed in 2 – 3 days. However, the data entry in the provinces and the selection process will take two weeks.
- MSD gives the Grade 10 results to the GES and Selection Committee.
- Grade 11 selection – Two weeks. Principals to start selecting students.
- Education Secretary sights and signs the selection list.
- Education Department published the selection listing for Grade 11 to secondary and national high schools.
Grade 11 Selections Cut-off
The selections for Grade 11 to National High Schools and Secondary Schools will be based on the Education Board’s National Standards Requirements.
- National High Schools Selection: The school of excellence concept requires that Grade 10 students with Distinctions or Credits are selected to National High Schools. The eligible students are pre-selected based on their intention on the School Leavers Forms.
- Secondary Schools Selection: Students with x7 Upper Passes or a percentile score of 77 points or higher to be selected to Grade 11
Grading, Subject Weighting and Results Used in Grade 11 Selections
Grade 10 students in the country study x7 subjects. Hence, the results are based on all the subjects taken by every student. Here is a screenshot of Information on Grading, Subject Weighting and Grade 11 selection results.
Source: Education Secretary Circular (13/2020)
Grades Definition & Subject Weightings
6 Factors for non-selection of students to Grade 11
- Fail to apply
- Bad Character
- Below School Quota
- No School leavers form
- Parents not requesting a transfer
- Gender equity in case of a tie in the selection
Grade 11 selection for 2021 takes a new approach where principals and education offices do the selection in the provinces, instead of Port Moresby. We expected the 2023 Grade 11 selections to be the same given the present situation with Covid19.
Past Grade 11 Selections – Port Moresby
The Grade 11 selections used to take place in Port Moresby. Principals and education officers from the provinces gathered in the capital city for weeks on end to do the selection. It can take up to 2 weeks for them to select students for the national high and secondary schools.
The principals and education officers from the provinces work with MSD and GED (two divisions of the National Department of Education) to finalise the selections.
The education secretary to sight and sign and make them available on the Department of Education website. The principals also inform the newly selected Grade 11 students of their schools for the new academic year.
Data Entry and Verification – Crucial
The principals and a provincial selection committee would meet in the provinces and do the Grade 11 selection. They verify students’ eligibility and enter their data online. (An important function, now done in the provinces) . Data verification and entry will take two (2) weeks.
The Grade 11 selection is a mandatory function of the National Education Board (NEB). The selection of Grade 11 students is not a provincial function, it still remains a national function. This implies that the final (quality) checks and publishing of the selection listing remain the role of the NEB.
This website advocates for transparency in the selection of Grade 11 students. We hope that the new Grade 11 online selection initiative of the NDoE is as effective and efficient and can deliver the results on time.