2021 Grade 11 Online Selection for National High Schools and Secondary Schools in the country is going online. The Grade 11 online selection is an initiative of the National Department of Education. A selection committee does the data verification and data entry in the provinces and uploads the selection data online.
The data verification and entry processes for Grade 11 students can take up to two weeks. The sighting and signing of the Grade 11 students selections and publishing may take a little as 2 days.
This education blog reproduces the Education Secretary’s circular in brief for parents, guardians and stakeholders (alike) to understand the Grade 11 selection process.
The process (How to do Grade 11 Selection in 2021)
- Measurement Services Division (MSD) will provide the final results for Grade 10 to Information and Communication Division (ICD).
- ICD will run the Grade 11 Selection.
- General Education Services will coordinate the selection process with all the principals from secondary and national high schools.
- Inspections and Standards Division (ISD) and the Guidance and Counselling Division (GCD) will assist principals in the provinces. Principals will enter and verify data in the provinces.
YOU CAN SEE THE EDUCATION SECRETARY’S CIRCULAR ON 2021 GRADE 11 SELECTIONS VIA THE LINK >> CLICK HERE.
Dates for 2021 Grade 11 Selections
The department of Education expects the (actual) selection and online results to complete in 2 – 3 days. However, the data entry at the provinces and the selection process will take two weeks.
- Grade 11 selection 2021 – 30th November – 11th December 2020
- Principals to start selecting students on the 2nd December 2020
- The selection listing for Grade 11 to secondary and national high schools to come out after 11th December 2020
Grade 11 Selections Cut-off
The selections for Grade 11 to National High Schools and Secondary Schools will be based on the Education Board’s National Standards Requirements.
- National High Schools Selection: The school of excellence concept requires that Grade 10 students with Distinctions or Credits are selected to National High Schools. The eligible students are pre-selected based on their intention on the School Leavers Forms.
- Secondary Schools Selection: Students with x7 Upper Passes or a percentile score of 77 points or higher to be selected to Grade 11
Grading, Subject Weighting and Results Used in Grade 11 Selections
Grade 10 students in the country study x7 subjects. Hence, the results are based on all the subjects taken by every student. Here is a screenshot of Information on Grading, Subject Weighting and Grade 11 selection results.
Source: Education Secretary Circular (13/2020)
6 Factors for non-selection of students to Grade 11
- Fail to apply
- Bad Character
- Below School Quota
- No School leavers form
- Parents not requesting a transfer
- Gender equity in case of a tie in the selection
The Grade 11 selection for 2021 takes a new approach where principals and education offices do the selection in the provinces, instead of Port Moresby.
Past Grade 11 Selections – Port Moresby
The Grade 11 selections used to take place in Port Moresby. Principals and education officers from the provinces gathered in the capital city for weeks on end to do the selection. It can take up to 2 weeks for them to select students for the national high and secondary schools.
The principals and education officers from the provinces work with MSD and GED (two divisions of National Department of Education) to finalise the selections.
The final selection listing would be given to the education secretary to sight and sign and made available on the department of education website. The principals also inform the newly selected Grade 11 students to their schools for the new academic year.
This was the past where things were done manually.
Data Entry and Verification – Crucial
The principals and a provincial selection committee would meet in the provinces and do the 2021 Grade 11 selection. They verify students eligibility and enter their data online. (An important function, now done in the provinces) . Data verification and entry will take two (2) weeks.
The Grade 11 selection is a mandatory function of the National Education Board (NEB). The selection of Grade 11 student is not a provincial function, it still remains a national function. This implies that the final (quality) checks and publishing of the selection listing remain the role of the NEB.
This blog advocates for transparency in the selection of Grade 11 students. We hope that the new Grade 11 online selection initiative of the NDoE is as effective and efficient’ and can deliver the results on time.