Divine Word University (DWU) got the university status in 1996, formerly called the Divine Word Institute. The university is located in the heart of beautiful Madang. This article has specific information on selection and admission, faculties and courses, campuses and what potential applicants to DWU’s undergraduate and postgraduate studies should know prior to submitting applications for enrollments.
DWU is the leading online and blended-learning university in PNG. Read more about DWU Moodles and courses here: Online Courses Divine Word University
Pathway to Divine Word University (DWU)
Candidates can enrol at DWU either are full-time or part-time students. The full-time students can enter DWU as undergraduates (Grade 12 school leavers, adult matriculation and open and distance learning schools).
There are entry levels for post-graduates courses such as advanced diplomas, masters and PhDs. These courses are meant for students who have first degrees.
DWU Learning Centres in PNG
DWU campuses are strategically located throughout PNG to serve the need of its students. Here is the list of campus (and regions) covered:
- Port Moresby and Tabubil (Southern region)
- Madang and Wewak (Momase and Highlands regions)
- Rabaul (New Guinea Island region)
Check out the link to the DWU’s Flexible Learning Centre (FLC) Moodle courses at the five campuses.
DWU Application Info – Non-school Leavers
It is perhaps important to consider these three points when applying as a non-school leaver to DWU. The three points are entry requirements at the time of the article.
The latest information on DWU non-school leavers application (or any application for entry), please refer to the respective links. Or call the university directly.
DWU Entry Requirements
- A short text outlining the reasons why you want to study your preferred Course should be attached to your application form and the reasons why you should be offered a place in the Department.
- The completed form must be accompanied by CERTIFIED COPIES of all relevant documents: transcripts and certificates of qualification/s. A Commissioner of Oath, a Lawyer, a Magistrate or a Justice of Peace
must certify documents as a true copy of the original. Any documentation not properly certified will result in your application form not being processed.
- You must have completed Grade 12 with “B” grade average or better in all subjects taken. The above information clarifies our selection procedure and our entry requirements. For further information, do contact the Office of the Registrar on phone 422 2937 or 4221232 or 4221233
Divine Word University Faculties
There are five faculties offering degree, diploma and online courses at DWU. The faculties are:
- ARTS and SOCIAL SCIENCES,
- BUSINESS AND INFORMATICS,
- MEDICINE and HEALTH SCIENCES,
- EDUCATION and
DWU Affiliate Institutions
The Divine Word University (DWU) offers degree and diploma courses at its affiliate institutions in the country. If you wish to pursue a diploma or bachelor course locally, call the institution nearest to you.
- Diploma in General Nursing (St. Benedict’s)
- Diploma in General Nursing (St. Mary’s)
- Bachelor of Midwifery (St. Mary’s)
- St. Benedict’s – Wewak
- OLSH Kabaleo – Rabaul
How to contact DWU
The Divine Word University has five learning centres/campuses in PNG (mentioned above). DWU also accepts students in different categories.
Our top tip is to check the courses offered at each campus before enquiring for more information. The university also releases updates on the courses they offer. Therefore, contact the Divine Word University or check the links we provide in this article to get the information that may answer your questions.
Ideally, the non-school leavers, part-time applicants and other applicants through the ‘Learn-While-Your-Earn’ (and the FLC) pathways to are encouraged to visit the campus nearest to you.
Divine Word University (DWU) Overview
Location: Madang, Papua New Guinea
Mission: The mission of the Divine Word University is value-based quality learning and teaching, research and community engagement in a Christian environment.
Accreditation: Department of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (DHERST)
DWU is a private university under the initiative of the Catholic Church with the support from the Papua New Guinea government. DWU is a co-educational university. It is open to all who share DWU vision and mission to learn and engage in a Christian environment.
This is an information page for Divine Word University (DWU) to help students seeking admissions (Post-graduate and undergraduate studies) to DWU. The page intends to provide clear information for students who searching for courses and programs of study at DWU.
For more information on DWU application forms, programs dates, graduate degree and post-graduate courses, etc. visit the Divine Word University’s (DWU) website.
Logo credit: Divine Word University