The institution started as a revision centre for professional examinations in accounting and business in the late 1980s. By 2003, the Institute of Business Studies, IBS, University offers certificate courses in Accounting and Business for Grade 10 and 12 school leavers.
ISB University Courses
The certificate course (Cert in Accounting and Cert in Business) has formed the basis of the institution’s core studies. Here is what IBS university said about the two courses at their inceptions:
‘IBS developed and offered its Certificate in Accounting, based on the syllabus of Accounting Technicians of [the] United Kingdom in 2002. The certificate in Computing course was introduced in 2003. These two courses evolved as the primary wheels of IBS then.’ (IBS University website)
Check out the information about GPA and Selections in PNG, click here.
- Acronym: IBSU
- Established: 1st December 2016
- Location: Port Moresby, National Capital District
- Website: http://www.ibsu.ac.pg/home
- Vision: To enrich lives through World Class Education, Training and Research.
IBS University – 12 Mile, Port Moresby
The IBS University (formally Institute of Business Studies, IBS) is located at the foot of Mt Eriama, opposite to Marianville Girls Catholic Secondary School just outside Port Moresby. It is about 30 – 45 minutes by PMV from Gordons Market (the bus stop), Port Moresby.
IBS University offers certificate, diploma and degree courses at its Saraga (6 miles) campus and Eriama (12-mile) campus. More course details for the IBS College of TVET and Career Development training are given below.
First, here is a quick listing of programs offered at IBS University’s 12-mile campus.
IBS University Courses
IBSU had three faculties or schools offering four-degree programs:
- School of Business (Bachelor of Accounting and Finance)
- School of Accounting and Finance (Bachelor of Business and Management; and Bachelor of Economics and Development Studies)
- School of Information Technology (Bachelor of Information Technology)
The institution also offers other degree programs through its affiliation with the University of Southern Cross. It cost over K24,000 to enrol on one of the programs through this affiliation.
The programs are:
- Bachelor of Business Major in Accounting (School of Business)
- Bachelor of Business Major in Management (School of Business)
- Bachelor of Information Technology Major in User Experience (School of I.T.)
IBS College of TVET, 6 Mile Port Moresby
IBS College of TVET (Technical and Vocational Education and Training) at 6 mile offers certificate and diploma courses for Grades 10 and 12 students wanting to pursue studies in business and accounting.
The IBS college of TVET is an education and training focused on providing primary knowledge and skills for employment in areas of Accounting, Business, and ICT and computing.
It is the pathway to the IBS University’s diploma and degree courses offered at their Eriama 12-mile campus.
Affiliate – Southern Cross University
IBS University created a diploma pathway for its certificate courses. And has affiliated with the Southern Cross University in Australia to further its Technical and Vocational Education and Training.
Certificate Programs Info
These three certificate programs are offered at the IBS College of TVET. Each certificate program is classified as Certificate 3 and certificate 4. That means that if you are a Grade 10 or 12 student, you’ll have to start with certificate 3, and then do certificate 4.
After completing the certificate programs, you can move on to the diploma courses at the IBS university at 12-mile.
IBS University Certificate Programs for Grade 10 and 12 students
The 3 certificate programs are:
- Certificate in Accounting 3
- Certificate in Accounting 4
2. Qualification in Business
- Certificate in Business 3
- Certificate in Business 4
3. Information Technology
- Certificate in Information Technology 3
- Certificate in Information Technology 4
IBS University & College of TVET Career Development Training
The IBS college takes the initiative to provide on-the-job training for its students. Here is what the college said about Career Development and Training:
‘IBS College of TVET offers Career Development Trainings programmes for students who are looking for further practical exposure to be work-ready.
These programmes are focused on Certificate 3 and 4 graduates from IBS or any other institutions who would like to enhance their skills prior to joining new employment.
Our trainees are trained on essential skills that are required in their related field and IBS Team will guide them up to the interview process of potential employers.
IBS College of TVET Certificate 3 and 4 students are entitled to receive a special discount on Career Development Programmes offered by IBS College of TVET.’ (IBS College Website)
How to Apply – IBS University & IBS College of TVET
Potential students can apply either online or by filling in the IBS Application Form. Here is some important information to consider before (and when) filling out the IBS Application Form:
- A soft or hard copy of your certificate: If you are applying online, you will be required to upload the soft copy as an attachment.
- Photo ID: this can be a driver’s license, passport, or National ID with a file size of less than 1 MB.
- Supporting ID such as old school ID, pastors reference letter with a file size less than 1 MB
The online application does not require applicants to create an online account. You have to complete an open application by only submitting your personal details and supporting documents.
That means that applicants must have all the requirements available at the time of completing the application form so that all details are captured and sent online.
However, the best way to apply if you are in Port Moresby is to complete and manual application form and submit it yourself, either at IBS University or IBS College of TVET.
Find out about other PNG Universities and Colleges HERE.